If you’ve ever followed the news media on what supplements or vitamins we “need,” you’d feel like you “need” 5,000 different things! Supplements are natural and healthy for us, but even things that are healthy could become detrimental if used incorrectly. Don’t worry, your local Schaumburg-area Physician (specializing in Nutrition) is here to set the record straight!
There are two types of Nutritional Supplements – those that are used to treat a specific health concern, and those that are used on a “wellness” basis. Below I’ll cover the top 5 wellness-based supplements that almost all of us actually can benefit from:
1) Probiotics- Our Immune System is the aspect of the body known for how “healthy” or “sick” we are. A person with a poor Immune System might get colds/flu every winter, have a difficult time recovering from illness, have slow healing cuts or bruises. or have immune diseases. The truth about the Immune System is that over 80% of it is actually housed inside of our Digestive System (from the stomach all the way through the intestines, also known as the gut) – Need I say more about why it’s critical to take care of our Digestive System? Probiotics are the “good bacteria” to balance out the common abundance of bad bacteria in the gut. In addition to improving our Immunity, Probiotics are great for digestive symptoms (bloating, pain, constipation, diarrhea, etc.) and skin conditions (acne, rashes, psoriasis, eczema, dry skin).
2) Digestive Enzymes – When we cook/heat our food, we loose valuable enzymes that help the body break down our food and absorb the nutrients. Digestive Enzymes replace those lost enzymes, and assist the gut in functioning (see above). Digestive Enzymes also help with symptoms such as: bloating, difficult digestion, heartburn, and constipation. Research shows that “women with high stress levels” often have digestive concerns and thus lower immunity. Are you one of those women?
3) Fish Oil – Omega 3 oils (the “good” fats) provide great support to the brain, heart, and lower inflammation (think: arthritis and poor memory). The average American has too little Omega 3s and too many Omega 6s (which is the “bad” fat) due to poor food choices.
4) An Alkalizing Tablet, like “Alka Green” – The body’s pH basically describes what the chemical environment of our insides is like. It can be either acidic or alkaline, and this is determined by many factors (most notably the food we eat/drink and stress level). Americans are 70% acidic, but we need our body’s pH to be 70% alkaline to be healthy. How do we become more alkaline?
Vegetables are alkaline, and most other foods (dairy, sugar, carbs, anything processed) are acidic. I’m sure you can see how this could become challenging, so we use alkalizing tablets (The Alka Green product I use in-office is make from pure organic barley plant) to bridge the gap. You might be wondering “why is alkalinity so important anyway?” Simply because research (as early as the 1930?s) has shown conclusively that cancer CANNOT survive in an alkaline environment. But cancer, inflammation, and disease processes sure do love their acidity….
5) Goji Berries (dried and organic) – In Chinese Medicine, we’ve been using foods as medicine for 5,000 years with success. What we put in our body can either work for us or against us. To make a long story short, many Americans have trouble with our Kidney Energetic Pathway in Chinese Medicine terms. This pathway has to do with our energy levels (tired?), low back pain (or knee pain?), bags under the eyes, low immune system, and more. Snacking on a small amount of Goji Berry daily will strengthen and nourish our Kidney Pathway. And by the way, in Chinese Medicine, that system controls all of the others, so it deserves special attention.
If you’re wondering why it’s important to select brands that are high quality versus “generics” – click here.
I hope you’ve found this article helpful! Please remember to choose high quality and organic products, and most importantly “less is more.” When using or adding a new product, we always start slowly. This article is not substitute for specific medical advice from your holistic physician. If you’re interested in ordering online medical grade, high quality supplements, or need a customized supplementation prescription, please CLICK HERE.